Sunday, July 26, 2009

no place like home.


it's a city that holds many of my firsts. my first apartment, my first house. first time living with 5 other girls. my first home away from home. my first kiss. first time i drank beer, first time i got drunk, first time i had a hangover. the first time i smoked pot. first time i felt smart, first time i felt stupid. the first time i lived more than 1 mile from my best friend. the first time i ever received a grade lower than a c. first time i felt lost. the first time i felt independent. the first time i liked the city i lived in. 

it's the city i was in when i found out my sister was moving away, my mom had cancer and my dad had died. it's the city that gave me my degree, incredible friends, and heaps of life experience. after 5 years of highs and lows, it was home. it felt like home. it's the city i swore i would never leave. 

**************

until shit falls apart and you decide to leave. and you regret it. for years you regret it and say you'll move back. when you visit it feels like you've gone home. you remember how to get around, can list off your favorite bars and know the best restaurants. it's still your city.
 
until the visits become less frequent. you don't know as many people there anymore. your favorite bar is gone, replaced by a taco bell. you can't remember the name of that street and you make a few wrong turns. it's not your city anymore. 

and all those memories feel like they happened a hundred years ago. a thousand years ago. a lifetime has passed. in their place - memories of a new city, new friends, a completely different life. and suddenly you're a stranger in a city that used to be your's. 

**************

it's a city that holds so many of my firsts, but not all of them. and it's not home anymore. not an easy thing to accept, so i put on my rose colored (sun)glasses and headed home - er, home for now. 

besides, i don't want anything to do with a city that closes down a restaurant with the best chinese food this side of the pacific. 

No comments: